Renovation Amsterdam University Medical Center | UMC
NetherlandsCompany Name: Kwakman Groep | Volendam
How to renovate a fully operational hospital, without disturbing patients and doctors and keeping maximum safety and medical standards?
The Amsterdam University Medical Center | UMC, a huge complex of 560.000 m² with over 1.000 beds, undergoes the first extensive renovation since it was opened in 1983. 18 departments are renovated in phases.
The renovation is taking place while the hospital remains fully operational. To manage this extremely complicated project, contractor Kwakman developed a unique building concept ‘Cure’, which incorporates smart building components like efficient preparation, logistics and installation. Modular building, BIM engineering and pre-fabrication are crucial key elements for a successful implementation of this concept, as well as the use of a smart ‘shifting plan’ to manage the renovation floor by floor.
- Modular building
- BIM engineering
- Smart shifting plan (: cellular approach)
- Logistical solutions
are key elements for a successful implementation of this concept.
23 000 m²
Company name: Kwakman Groep | Volendam | Netherlands
Main Representative: Mr. Jaap Buijs, Mr. Will Jonk
Number of collaborators: 60 to 250 persons including all project teams
Specialties: Drywall, metal stud walls and ceilings, interior design, Innovative solutions for lightweight construction
Founded in: 1985
Biography: Kwakman is engineer and producer of efficient, sustainable and high-end total drywall solutions, plastering and interior building. Kwakman works for contractors and customers who aim, just like they do, to make building smarter and faster.
To achieve these improved processes, partnerships and cooperation are required. Kwakman innovates and optimizes in every stage of the building process. They increasingly distinguish themselves by strongly advanced BIM engineering, digitization, automation, standardization and pre-production.
Innovation Partner: Saint-Gobain Gyproc, Heijmans, Rosmalen
Contractors: Mr. Jaap Buijs, Mr. Will Jonk
The key challenge in this extremely complicated project is to renovate a fully operational hospital, without disturbing patients and doctors, meanwhile keeping maximum standards for safety and medical security.
The building process literally takes place next to fully operational medical departments, which sometimes requires to stop working when a medical emergency occurs.
- Developing and implementing the unique building concept (Cure) – and making it work
- All parties involved having to work in the same BIM-environment
- Working with strict logistics and delivery limitations on hospital site
- Cooperating with and depending on multiple parties
- in an extremely tight planning where every details depends on a chain of events
- Making sure the process and planning is maintained
The unique ‘Cure’ concept, developed by contractor Kwakman, and this way of working is implemented successfully in this hospital environment, because:
- Extensive preparations, meticulous planning and the smart implementation of advanced technology have proven to be efficient and successful
- Good coordination and communication with all parties in the process has been crucial to keep the process running smoothly
- Close cooperation between contractor and Gyproc to enable the production and smooth supply of the customized packages
The contractor was involved in the development of the renovation process from an early stage.
This concept and the way of working has created a benchmark for renovations in medical environments.