The new multimedia library of Vitrolles is part of a larger urban renewal project, in a bleak, economically depressed suburb of Marseilles. Aiming to give the town spaces to meet and socialize, the project was subject to the environmental approach ‘BDM’ (Bâtiment Durable Méditérrannée). This is based on environmental, social and economic aspects. The design of the building should express ‘movement and lightness’ as a metaphor for reading. The choice of the materials was based on sustainable criteria: a rippling concrete façade and a lot of plaster. Fibrous plaster was used for the most complex parts of the interior design. Forming the focal point of the space, a ‘fairy tale hour’ room hovers above the reception area. This room was designed as an egg, and is called “La Bulle” (“the bubble”), which is reminiscent of dreaming and storytelling. The contractor’s works consisted in creating “the bubble” and several projection screens with fibrous plaster.
Denie la Stafferie
Founded in 1947, Denie la Stafferie has become a leading player of fibrous plaster in France. Axel Marhuenda is leading the company in the third generation. Located in the South of France, nearby Cannes and Monaco, their geographical scope is not only local, but national and even international.
- Make a daring dream of an architect become reality, thanks to an extensive fibrous plaster know-how and modern 3 D design expertise
- Proving future designers and architects that plaster is offering unlimited possibilities, through this successful reference project
- Transfer a traditional craft into modern architecture, an encouraging message for the future of the craftsmanship
- Contribute to a sustainable project, using an environmental friendly material, and offering a fancy design to a building in a socially disadvantaged environment
- Design a structurally viable solution, for a suspended plaster construction, in collaboration with the carpenter.
- Define the optimal combination of different plasters, fibers and jute scrim, for maximum stability and lightweight.
- Define specifications and layout of plaster elements in the most efficient way with regard to site productivity.
- Undertake an ambitious project, despite a tight budget => the contractor did it for the challenge itself and as a reference for the future.