The new School of Architecture is situated at the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) in Stockholm. The new oval-shaped four-storey building is a stimulating and creative environment in the middle of the campus. Arkitekturskolan consists of a building in the rust-coloured Corten steel and is a cheeky, modern contrast to the surrounding century-old brick buildings. The interior is designed to be robust and flexible. Curving walls create a free flow of contiguous space that enhance the sense of openness rather than enclosure. Great technical skill and knowledge were required in order to optimize acoustics and fire requirements. The curved shaped building is complex due to its many different radii. All walls (partitions and outer wall) were dry curved on site. With a very tight production schedule and no possibility to store materials on site the deliveries had to be well adapted just-in-time to the building process. 90% of the boards are EPD-classified and the small amount of overflow has been recycled.
Peab is a construction and civil engineering company whose guiding principle is very high quality at all stages of the construction process. Peab’s B-share is listed on Nasdaq Stockholm.
- Close cooperation within the team, education on site and technical support
- Well planned and good logistic service was required because the site was situated in between old existing buildings
- Strong liaison between all parties from planning to installation, have made it possible to keep to the budget
- Challenges to meet time-schedule and budget: Close planning with Gyproc representative was necessary to meet deadlines and fulfill requirements.
- Necessity to limit storage on site: There was no possible storage on site. The deliveries therefore had to be well adapted just-in-time to the building process.
- Technical installation challenge: All walls (partitions and outer walls) were curved with many different radii. The façade turned in eight different radii. All the boards were dry curved on site – wetroomboard, windshieldboard, lightweight board, fireboards.